The Prudential Ride 100
Ride London is now 5 years old and part of a great big weekend of cycling events within our capital. It’s very popular and at times overly congested, a bit annoying and somewhat hazardous but if you can get ahead of all that stuff with an early start time it’s fantastic. I’ve ridden it 3 times now and never cycled at speeds like I do on that day. I manage to average 20mph over the 100 miles and absolutely love the route; Box Hill and the finishing mile or so being my favourite bits. Closed roads in London and out on the beautiful hills of Surrey are a really wonderful thing. This year I managed to nab a QOM segment as I flew along Victoria Embankment amongst a seriously fast group of blokes! Loved it!
- Try and get an early start time.
- Get into a good, quick group.
- Take care on the descents, each year a few maniacs overcook some of the corners and come a cropper.
- Take a couple of tubes, always seem to be lots of punctures.
- I take all the snacks I need so I don’t waste time at the feed stations.
- Soak up the atmosphere as you ride up Whitehall and down the Mall as an absolute hero!